There is no definite definition for Complex Fractures, it is simply a broken bone that is more severe than what is common or routine.
Fractures are considered to be complex when:
- The fragments are broken into many pieces
- The soft tissues are severely damaged
- There is loss of bone due to severe trauma
- There is disruption of the articular surface
- There are multiple fractures at several levels in a single bone
- There is an associated joint dislocation
Since the complex fractures vary each, there are a variety of methods and options available to rectify complex fractures. Internal and external fixation devices are frequently used on patients with complex fractures.